9 oz cannellini beans (we used canned but dried ok too)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
2 carrots halved andthinly sliced,
1/8 inch rounds
5 cups water (we added 5 veg bouillon cubes added to)
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
4.5 oz leafygreens, such as chard, mustard, spinach and kale, washed (we used frozenspinach, rinsed and drained well)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup nonwheat/gluten mini-pasta shells, cooked according to package
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce-pan over a medium heat. Add theonion and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onionis just softened. Add the garlic, celery and carrots, and continue cooking for2 minutes.
2. Add the water, drained beans (if using dried; if canned, wait until 30 minutes before done to add), thyme, andmarjoram and bay leaf. When the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat tolow. Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for about 1and ¼ hours.Cooking time will vary depending on dried bean choice. Season with salt andpepper.
3. Allow the soup to cool slightly; then transfer 2 cups to a blenderor food processor. Puree until smooth and recombine with the soup.
4. A handful at a time, cut the greens crossways, into thin ribbons,keeping tender leaves like spinach, separate. Add the thicker leaves and cookgently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in any remaining greens and continuecooking for 5-10 minutes until all the greens are tender.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Add the pasta shellsand ladle into warm bowls and serve.