1 cup spelt flour, plus more for rolling the dough
1/3 cup hulled, raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
4 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. - 1 Tbsp. cold water
2 farm fresh eggs
15 - 16 ounces fresh, baked or steamed pumpkin pureed until smooth
1 cup farm fresh milk, or almond or rice milk
1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional: Serve with sweetened whipped cream or raw banana ice cream andsprinkle with pumpkin seeds for garnish.
1. Put the flour, pumpkin seeds, and salt into food processor withfitted metal blade. Process until pumpkin seeds are finely ground.
2. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add maple syrup, vinegar & cold water and pulse until mixtureclumps.
4. Roll into ball and flatten on parchment paper pressing into alarge flat circle and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400°.
6. On lightly floured board, roll dough into a 12" circle andtransfer to 10" pie plate pressing into bottom and up sides. Finish edges.Prick with fork in several places. Line with parchment paper or foil and weightwith dried beans or rice. Place in oven for about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove fromoven and let cool. Lift parchment or foil and weights and remove them frombaked shell. Set aside.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
1. In mixing bowl, place egg, pumpkin, milk, maple syrup or agave,cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and vanilla.
2. Whisk until smooth.
3. Pour into baked pie shell.
4. Bake until filling doesn't jiggle. About 35 - 45 minutes. Set pieon rack.
5. Serve room temperature or chilled with whipped cream and wholepumpkin seeds if desired.
Variation for Crust: Use unsalted sunflower seeds or walnuts inplace of the pumpkin seeds.